Previously, we were only able to work and test our hypothesis on parts of the project. Now that all parts have arrived it is time to put everything together and apply all that we have found out during the previous phase.

We finally embark on our experimenting phase!

Before the first experiment even started, we ran into trouble. We had to prepare an anti-stick layer on the resin bath, which brought equipments like vacuum desiccator and analytical balance into the equation. But clearly being a design college, there is no place for such equipments!

Our Home made oven to cure the PDMS

But with numerous failures and wasted Sylgard, we managed to create acceptable PDMS layers without all those complicated scientific equipment.

Who needs a vacuum desiccator and analytical balance, when you have a metal spoon (with a tape at the back).

We first had to scale the projected image on the resin to the true size of the CAD object. This was more troublesome than it sounded and it took us lots of effort and patience just to get it to print to the correct X-Y scale. More effort and patience was expanded to get it to print to the correct Z scale.

Extreme methods were used

Effort and patience was in short order and then…

The ‘Chief Scientist (w/o PhD)’ with his first bucky ball printed

Things started getting printed.

That Carbon3D moment.

The integration of hardware and software went smoother than we expected. No critical issues popped up, problems we had expected with the peeling aspect of SLA printing process did not happen.

In short, it was ‘All green, all systems go!’

Many Eiffels were printed since at different scales to gauge our progress.
Our own ALP ring.

With the new knowledge gained through our experiments from the first printer, we begin to work on our second revision.

Brine-Resin test
The Platoon Sergeants with ‘everything out’.

Stay tuned for updates on revision 2.

p.s. 5 weeks to home!

Felix Soo

Engineering Product Development

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]
Previous articleBarriers, Barriers Everywhere
Next articleWEEK 9
The Toy Design members strive to implement a next-generation interactive gadget for pets that incorporates innovative technology. Our team have already started on the basics as of 27th May by designing our own soft toy using a program called Easy Toy. The objective of 3D Printer Design members is to bring SLA (Stereolithography) 3D printing technology to the next level by redesigning and improving the different parts of the 3D printer using the program Solidworks. To accomplish this, students will be learning the technology behind SLA 3D printing and the software of the printer.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here